Friday 25 May 2012

Woman versus cake

I gave the giant cupcake another go and it beat me.

I did a 6 egg mix which was plenty and made enough mixture for cupcakes too. So far so good. I lined the tin with ground nut oil as advised but given that my previous attempt cooked unevenly I decided to cook the top and bottom separately (on my mum's advice).

I cooked the bottom section for an hour on gas mark 4, turning the pan around in the oven after 40 minutes. I checked the bottom section at 40 and 45 minutes but it was still uncooked in the middle so it was in the oven for 50 minutes in total.

The bottom layer came out of the mould with ease, but was overcooked and crispy on top but seemed soggy on the bottom. Also, there seemed to be a gap in the sponge in the middle when I turned it over.

The top section of the cupcake was a disaster. It got stuck in the mould and broke off. Gutted.

I don't know if it was the heat affecting the second batch of mixture which was sitting on the side whilst the first half cooked - it was 28 degrees here today - or whether it was because I put the mixture into a hot mould but the result makes me very reluctant to try the giant cupcake again.

Instead, I am going to make a Victoria sponge and cover it with raspberries to make it really summery.





Here is the replacement cake: I went into nearly every shop in the village for the raspberries, but there were none to be found, so it was topped with blueberries instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment