Saturday 30 March 2013

Baby's first cake

I cannot believe how quickly a year has gone by but somehow we found ourselves celebrating the boy's first birthday this week.

He loves his wooden Noah's arc set and has taken a particular liking to his zebra and giraffe so I thought it would be nice to put these on his cake. He had a new Zebra T'shirt to wear for the day too!


I kept the colour very pale and baby-like and put his name on the board with the number 1. The giraffe lost his head on the journey between our house and my mum's but we managed to 'glue' it back on with a bit of water! 



To mix it up a bit I did two flavour cakes. A madeira and chocolate cake combination combined with Swiss meringue buttercream icing. Not a huge fan of it to be honest but I'm not going to give up and will give it another go at some point. I am still searching for the recipe for the really smooth soft white buttercream you get in shop bought cakes but until I find it I will keep experimenting. 

I found a new jam (www.thejammycow.co.uk) at our local bakers which I also sandwiched between the layers and it was scrummy.  






1 comment:

  1. Hi, just found you through Cakes Decor! I love your giraffe and zebra!
    Radhika

    ReplyDelete