Friday 8 March 2013

Chocolate Ganache Disaster Averted

I'm making chocolate ganache for the first time which is probably not the best idea when both the cake and I have to be ready for 11am tomorrow morning (it's now 11pm!). But as a working mummy of two, I have to fit my baking in when I can.

So this evening I nervously followed the recipe in my Great British Bake Off ShowStoppers recipe, unsure of what consistency I was looking and what lay in store for the chocolate concoction.

I stirred the mixture well and then left it to cool as directed but when I looked back at it half an hour later, it had separated with an oily residue on the top.

I panicked and did what any decent baker would and googled it! I was saved by this blog http://www.kayahara.ca/2011/01/emulsions-broken-and-repaired/ I followed the tip with the warm milk and my ganache is saved.

So if ever you experience oily or separated ganache and don't know how to save it then look no further than this very useful tip:

"First, try simply re-warming it and stirring. If that fails, add some warm milk, bit by bit, to increase the amount of water in the mix. Slowly, the ganache should come back together."

This actually works!!! 

Just need to worry about the icing and decorating now. 






No comments:

Post a Comment