Tuesday 12 March 2013

Reaching new heights

My brother is an avid rock climber and is taking on Mount Kilimanjaro in November, raising money for Parkinson's UK (well done you!) so when I saw a rock climbing cake on Pinterest, I knew that's what he had to have.

However, I had a bust up with the icing and ended up throwing the whole thing away! I rolled it out about seven times and every time I tried to lift it, it would crack. I put it on top of the cake at one point and the sides just collapsed leaving a circle on top of the cake so I gave up, swore a little bit and then took a deep breath!

I had to rescue the cake by adding an extra layer of ganache and leaving it pretty rustic looking. I also think the climber was a touch too large for the size of the cake. It was a 6 inch four layer chocolate sponge which ended up 7 1/2 inches high.

Happy birthday Jay.




No comments:

Post a Comment