Monday 6 April 2015

Gluten and dairy free breakfast - rice pudding


When following a gluten and dairy free diet it can be very difficult to get excited about breakfast. My go-to is peanut butter - or even nut free butter - on gluten free toast. 

But after four consecutive days I crave something different, something wholesome and filling. 

That's where rice pudding can step up and satisfy. When I was pregnant with my daughter I ate two bowlfuls every day! You'd think I'd have had enough to last a lifetime but I still love the creamy, warm dessert, especially when it's for breakfast!

Since following a dairy and gluten free diet I've struggled to find a good recipe that cuts the mustard - or the nutmeg! 

Initially I tried soya milk, which was OK but had a bit of an after taste. 

You'd think rice milk would work - rice and rice right? Unfortunately not! It just ended up a big congealed lump that even if you could get past how bad it looked, it tasted revolting! 

Coconut milk tasted too coconutty! I'm not sure what else I expected but whilst I can take a splash of coconut milk in my tea, I don't really like coconut flavour, so an entire carton in a rice pudding was just too strong. 

Finally I hit on the perfect recipe - oat milk. And if you add a few glugs of Oatly creamy (available from Ocado) it's even better. There's no need to be perfect with the measurements as long as you're somewhere close! In this recipe I've also cut the sugar content down, which can only be a good thing! 

Happy baking! 

Dairy-free, gluten-free oat milk rice pudding 
85g pudding rice
35g sugar
One carton (one litre) organic Oat-ly oat milk 
Half carton (125ml) Oat-ly creamy oat
5 small knobs of dairy-free spread (I used Pure Sunflower
a generous sprinkle of nutmeg 

Put the rice and sugar in a large roasting dish, pour the oat milk and creamy oat on top. Add small knobs of the dairy-free spread and sprinkle with nutmeg. 

Bake at 130 (fan) or 150 for two and a half hours. 

With my portion sizes, I get just four dishes out of this recipe, which is just about right for keeping in the fridge for four breakfasts unless the kids see it and then it's all gone in one go!  Normal people who aren't quite so greedy might get six portions. 





No comments:

Post a Comment